Terry Hong, resident BookDragon for the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Program, reviews my book here.

I'd like to share a little anecdote: during the civil conflict in Nepal, where educated people were fleeing in mass numbers from Nepal for better pastures abroad, I met a young man. He had studied in the States, and he had returned home. When I asked him why he wasn't leaving, he answered: "My life is here, with these 26 million people. Whatever happens, I'm not leaving them. We'll have to go through this together." I'd like to clarify that what comes across as "resigned acceptance" in the last story (I could see how it could be read in this manner) is also another way to write about this innate homing instinct of Nepali people to return home, from whereever they are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Bitter Gourds Short Story Collection

The jyotish astrological analysis of Robin Williams' death

Anzaldua at the liminal edges of identity